Make-Ahead Lettuce Salad
"Make-ahead" is a magic word when you're serving a group and trying to minimize last-minute preparation. If you make this salad in a glass bowl, be sure to bring it to the table or buffet before tossing so everyone can see the pretty layers. -Bertha Johnson, Indianapolis, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- In a 6-qt. bowl, layer half of lettuce, onion, celery, green pepper, water chestnuts and peas. Combine mayonnaise and sugar; spread half over the salad. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with the cheese and bacon if desired. Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 54 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Lettuce Salad in Taste of Home October/November 1999