Make-Ahead Ham and Cheese Strata
This dish is so attractive and great-tasting that I love to make it for special brunches and showers. Because it's made the night before, I can relax in the morning before the guests arrive.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 15 slices white bread
- 3 cups (12 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Using a doughnut cutter, cut 15 circles and holes from the bread; set aside. Tear leftover bread into small pieces and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese and onion over bread. Layer with broccoli and ham. Arrange bread circles and holes over ham. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt and mustard; pour over bread. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50 minutes; sprinkle with paprika. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
Originally published as Ham 'N' Cheese Strata in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.