This dish is so attractive and great-tasting that I love to make it for special brunches and showers. Because it's made the night before, I can relax in the morning before the guests arrive.
Recommended: Ham and Cheese Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 15 slices white bread
- 3 cups (12 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), shredded
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3-1/3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Using a doughnut cutter, cut 15 circles and holes from the bread; set aside. Tear leftover bread into small pieces and place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese and onion over bread. Layer with broccoli and ham. Arrange bread circles and holes over ham. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt and mustard; pour over bread. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 50 minutes; sprinkle with paprika. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Ham 'N' Cheese Strata in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p6