Make-Ahead Glazed Brownies
"Since I'm the designated 'dessert lady,' I often rely on these moist brownies for last-minutes treats," relates Barbara Robbins of Delray Beach, Florida. "I've been making the sweet snacks for years and they're high on everyone's list of favorites."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + freezing
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and sour cream. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and mix well after each addition.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in milk until smooth. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Spread over warm brownies. Cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw and cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 147 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Glazed Brownies in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.