Make-Ahead Glazed Brownies
"Since I'm the designated 'dessert lady,' I often rely on these moist brownies for last-minutes treats," relates Barbara Robbins of Delray Beach, Florida. "I've been making the sweet snacks for years and they're high on everyone's list of favorites."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + freezing
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and sour cream. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and mix well after each addition.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream butter, confectioners' sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in milk until smooth. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Spread over warm brownies. Cool on a wire rack.
- Cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw and cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 147 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Glazed Brownies in Quick Cooking January/February 2004