"Since I'm the designated 'dessert lady,' I often rely on these moist brownies for last-minutes treats," relates Barbara Robbins of Delray Beach, Florida. "I've been making the sweet snacks for years and they're high on everyone's list of favorites."
Recommended: Top 10 Brownie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and sour cream. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, cocoa and milk. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Spread over warm brownies. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw an cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Glazed Brownies in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p63