A blend of vegetables adds pretty color and pleasant crunch to this coleslaw. It's nice to rely on do-ahead dishes like this when feeding a crowd. —Andrea Hutchison, Canton, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
Makesabout 20 servings
- 1 large head cabbage, shredded (about 20 cups)
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large salad bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; set aside. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. bring to a boil; boil for 1-2 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 1 week.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 138 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Make-Ahead Coleslaw in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.