Majestic Cherry Pie
Cherries are my favorite fruit so creating this pie featuring them was a hit in my family.—Louise Piper, Garner, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups pitted fresh Rainier cherries
- 1 cup halved pitted fresh Bing cherries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, flour, tapioca and salt. Add cherries and lemon juice; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 442 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 10, 2017
Great basic pie recipe. We only had one kind of cherry, but that didn't seem to matter. The only problem we had was that the cherries were extra juicy and the filling was somewhat runny. Next time we'll try adding more tapioca.