Mahogany-Glazed Cornish Hen
I make this for my husband and myself for holiday dinners. It's an elegant tradition, custom fit for two. —Jeannette Sabo, Lexington Park, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place hen in a greased shallow roasting pan, skin side up. Combine butter, ginger and orange zest; rub under skin.
- In a small bowl, whisk preserves, vinegar, soy sauce and mustard. Reserve half of the mixture for basting. Spoon remaining mixture over hen; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup chicken broth into pan.
- Roast 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, adding broth to pan as necessary and basting with remaining glaze halfway through cooking. Serve with pan juices.
Originally published as Mahogany Glazed Cornish Hens in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013
Aug 24, 2019
Very flavorful Cornish hen recipe!
Nov 21, 2017
I was never a big fan of game hens, until I tried this recipe. I look forward to making it again when I have a small crowd