- 1 Cornish game hen (20 to 24 ounces), split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place hen in a greased shallow roasting pan, skin side up. Combine butter, ginger and orange zest; rub under skin.
- In a small bowl, whisk preserves, vinegar, soy sauce and mustard. Reserve half of the mixture for basting. Spoon remaining mixture over hen; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup chicken broth into pan.
- Roast 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, adding broth to pan as necessary and basting with remaining glaze halfway through cooking. Serve with pan juices.
1/2 Cornish game hen: 472 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 1332mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein.