Mad About "Meat" Loaf Recipe
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup mashed cooked carrots
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons ground walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add spinach; cover and boil for 3-4 minutes or until wilted. Drain and squeeze dry.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, carrots, bread, eggs, zucchini, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, onion, flaxseed, walnuts, oil, garlic, seasonings and spinach. Pat into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan; top with remaining tomato sauce.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 4-7 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 198 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 451mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Mad About "Meat" Loaf
"Wow! Made this for Meatless Monday and it's a winner. Great ingredients, easy to put together, tasty results. I followed the recipe verbatim and will definitely make it again."
"Great! You would think it was made with meat. I changed a few things but tried to stick close to the ingredients I changed. I did not use the cheddar or parmesan cheeses. I subbed butternut squash for the mashed carrots. I used 1/4 cup of egg whites, I omitted the walnuts and used 3 tbsp. of bulgur soaked in water to soften up. Thanks for a great alternative from using ground beef or ground turkey. May never go back to "meat" meatloaf again."
"Terrific! I loved this recipe. My husband couldn't believe there was no meat! My vegetarian teenager liked it, too!"
"Made this and my 3 kids loved it. Even my husband had no idea that it didn't have any meat in it. Will definitely make again! Delicious."
"Wow, eating more of a plant based diet, I missed my favorite dish, Meatloaf! This hit the spot! Perfect in every sense. Texture, taste and smell!! I did edit it a little... here were my edits:*used 5 oz of baby spinach*used Veggies Shreds instead of real cheese (for both the Cheddar and the Parmesan)*used 1 cup of mashed carrots*used 2 slices of HPLC bread from Great Harvest bread Company*used 1 cup of Zucchini*made my own Italian seasoning (equal parts of, basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro, thyme and red pepper flakes)*did not sprinkle more cheese on top, and did not put it back in the oven for additional time."
"This was very different but good tasting. But it does take a lot of work to make."
"This was quite good and filling. We really enjoyed it and will definitely make it again"