- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup mashed cooked carrots
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, torn into pieces
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons ground walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add spinach; cover and boil for 3-4 minutes or until wilted. Drain and squeeze dry.
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, carrots, bread, eggs, zucchini, 1/4 cup tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, onion, flaxseed, walnuts, oil, garlic, seasonings and spinach. Pat into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan; top with remaining tomato sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake 4-7 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forMad About "Meat" Loaf
"Wow! Made this for Meatless Monday and it's a winner. Great ingredients, easy to put together, tasty results. I followed the recipe verbatim and will definitely make it again."
"Great! You would think it was made with meat. I changed a few things but tried to stick close to the ingredients I changed. I did not use the cheddar or parmesan cheeses. I subbed butternut squash for the mashed carrots. I used 1/4 cup of egg whites, I omitted the walnuts and used 3 tbsp. of bulgur soaked in water to soften up. Thanks for a great alternative from using ground beef or ground turkey. May never go back to "meat" meatloaf again."
"Terrific! I loved this recipe. My husband couldn't believe there was no meat! My vegetarian teenager liked it, too!"
"Made this and my 3 kids loved it. Even my husband had no idea that it didn't have any meat in it. Will definitely make again! Delicious."
"Wow, eating more of a plant based diet, I missed my favorite dish, Meatloaf! This hit the spot! Perfect in every sense. Texture, taste and smell!! I did edit it a little... here were my edits:*used 5 oz of baby spinach*used Veggies Shreds instead of real cheese (for both the Cheddar and the Parmesan)*used 1 cup of mashed carrots*used 2 slices of HPLC bread from Great Harvest bread Company*used 1 cup of Zucchini*made my own Italian seasoning (equal parts of, basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro, thyme and red pepper flakes)*did not sprinkle more cheese on top, and did not put it back in the oven for additional time."
"This was very different but good tasting. But it does take a lot of work to make."
"This was quite good and filling. We really enjoyed it and will definitely make it again"