Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- MACAROON FILLING:
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread half into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- For filling, combine the coconut, condensed milk and vanilla; carefully spread over batter in pan. Top with the remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, milk and butter in a saucepan; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the marshmallows and chocolate chips; cook and stir until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool until frosting reaches spreading consistency, about 25 minutes. Spread over the cooled brownies. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 185 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 13, 2019
I thought I would like it because my favorite candy bar is Mounds, but it was too dry and I felt like it had too much coconut.
Apr 7, 2018
Mine came out overall dry and even drier on the edges. I baked for 45 minutes so next time I will take out promptly at 40 minutes. I was not sure if they were done because the toothpick was moist but later realized the moisture probably would have been good and was maybe just the coconut layer. They are a fancy cake like brownie. 48 per pan makes it seem like these are cut way too small until you actually eat one. Very good...maybe as a small fancy dessert add a small scoop of ice cream.
Dec 15, 2016
I've been making these brownies for over a decade now--they are always a hit!
Nov 24, 2015
Apr 6, 2013
Mine came out too dry on the edges and I would've liked a stronger chocolate flavor (more cocoa, perhaps?)
Feb 21, 2013
I make brownies all the time but I do not like to eat them, I give them away. This recipe is probably my favorite brownie recipe yet. I would make these again and I will eat them.
Aug 18, 2012
Very good but more of a sheet cake than a brownie in my opinion. Everyone who ate any of these raved about them. I added a dash of almond flavoring to the coconut along with the vanilla.
May 9, 2010
Excellent but very rich! I thought 48 servings listed on the recipe seemed like awfully small pieces, but you won't want one any bigger than that!
Oct 20, 2009
These brownies are incredible! So rich and so yummy! You can't get enough