Macaroon Apple Cobbler
Especially when I'm just serving a dessert, I like to prepare this. I'll usually make it with fresh apples, but I've also sometimes used home-canned ones. —Phyllis Hinck, Lake City, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Place the apples in an ungreased 9-in. pie plate. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Top with coconut and pecans; set aside.
- To make topping, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture until blended.
- Drop small spoonfuls over apples. Bake at 350° until top is golden brown and fruit is tender, 25-35 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 320 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Macaroon Apple Cobbler in Country Woman March/April 1999