Macaroni Salad Tomato Cups
For a hearty warm-weather meal for two, Evelyn Kennell of Roanoke, Illinois suggests her pasta salad flavored with ham, crunchy celery and a creamy dressing.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced deli ham
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.
- Drain macaroni and rinse in cold water. In a bowl, combine the macaroni, ham, cheese and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion powder and pepper. Pour over salad and stir to coat. Spoon into tomato cups. Serve on a lettuce-lined plate if desired with any additional salad on the side.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 272 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 792mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Tomato Salad Bowls in Cooking for 2 Summer 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.