Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 carton (6 ounces) whipped cream cheese with chives
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Add cream cheese; toss until melted. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. In a skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce, salt and sugar; mix well. Spread over macaroni mixture. Combine egg and sour cream; spread over meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 357 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 1315mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Feb 14, 2014
Having a larger family and preferring leftovers, doubled recipe. Omitted onions instead using 1 each of red, orange, yellow & green peppers to cook with ground beef. Also, used plain whipped cream cheese omitting chives. (Family member has onion/garlic sensitivity)Topped casserole w/3 cups shredded Italian cheese blend. Also, used 2 8x8 glass baking dishes instead of 13x9. Surprised there was no black pepper in this recipe but tried to stick as close to original recipe as possible. Poster shared great base recipe for Comfort Food with endless possibilities for variations. :)