Macaroni Chicken Skillet
"Our family loves this meal," relates Edie DeSpain of Logan, Utah. "I found the recipe on a box of pasta years ago, and I've used it a lot since." Vegetables, herbs and chicken mingle in a rich cheese sauce for the no-fuss entree.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cubed cooked chicken, thawed
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the broccoli, red pepper, onion and carrots in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chicken, peas, bouillon, tarragon and lemon-pepper; reduce heat.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Drain macaroni; stir into the chicken mixture. Add cheese and stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 387 calories, 18g fat (7g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 1002mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Macaroni Chicken Skillet in Quick Cooking January/February 2005
May 26, 2013
I did not really like this much at all. I think it was the flavor of the herbs mixed in with the cheese sauce.
Apr 27, 2012
At first I thought that this was just glorified mac and cheese. But this ended up very good.