Macaroni Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, tomato juice, macaroni, carrots and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Stir in the squash, beans, seasoned salt and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 115 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 12, 2012
I would describe it more as a "stewp" than a soup. This could be because I used a little more macaroni like Sundra Haucks said. I also didn't serve it immediately. I held it warm on the stove while preparing sandwiches to go with it. I chose this recipe because it has all those healthy veggies in it. I reduced the salt to 1/2 tsp. and the flavor was still fine.
Dec 14, 2011
This soup was OK but a little bland. I probably won't make again.