Macaroni Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes9 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, tomato juice, macaroni, carrots and garlic to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Stir in the squash, beans, seasoned salt and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 115 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Mar 12, 2012
I would describe it more as a "stewp" than a soup. This could be because I used a little more macaroni like Sundra Haucks said. I also didn't serve it immediately. I held it warm on the stove while preparing sandwiches to go with it. I chose this recipe because it has all those healthy veggies in it. I reduced the salt to 1/2 tsp. and the flavor was still fine.
Dec 14, 2011
This soup was OK but a little bland. I probably won't make again.