Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. In a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer a third of the macaroni, half of the cheese and half of the onion. Repeat layers. Top with remaining macaroni.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, mustard, pepper, evaporated milk and milk; pour over layers. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 353 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein.
Dec 6, 2016
This was a good, simple recipe. I added some garlic to enhance the flavor.
Jul 9, 2015
Word to the wise .. do not try to use Kraft singles in place of Velveeta slices. :) I also attempted to make it in the slow cooker, which I forgot about... Ended up mushy but that could simply have been user error. Not sure if I'd try this again since I have a few other successful versions of Mac&Cheese, but glad to have cooked and learned.
Apr 11, 2015
Do not make this recipe. I doubted it from the beginning. Very vague instructions and complicated preparation. The end effect is tasteless with the amount of milk and onion compared to the amount of cheese.
Jan 6, 2012
I made this but instead of butter and crumbs on top ,I put buttered slices of bread on the top.Also I made a cheese sauce and poured it over the macroni. Then cooked it. Our family loves it.Telly.Easier and just as good.
Dec 10, 2011
Was bland and tasteless. I was very disappointed and I followed the directions exactly.
May 22, 2011
I don't usually like homemade mac and cheese but am still eating the left overs! My boyfriend, whose mom makes everything homemade says this was better than any of her versions of homemade mac and cheese! thanks for sharing!
Mar 2, 2011
A great low fat mac and cheese recipe. My wife and I loved it and I will make it again. Even the leftovers reheated were great.
Sep 14, 2010
Nice lower fat mac & cheese. I used whole wheat pasta to make it even better. I would recommend letting it sit for several mintues before serving, It got better.
Jun 12, 2010
Mar 9, 2010
Very good. I personally did not use fat-free evaporated milk or fat-free milk because I didn't have any on hand, and although it probably decreased the healthy benefits, the recipe was very good! My 13 month old couldn't get enough and even my husband was pleased. I was happy because it was so easy!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.