Get the flavors of Hawaii with this fabulous dessert. Coconut and rum combined with the silky texture, make with just superb.—Tonya Burkhard, Davis, Illinois
Recommended: 50 Coconut Recipes to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 8 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 2/3 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Stir in egg yolks just until combined.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over rum; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, heat coconut milk, sugar and milk until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat; whisk in gelatin mixture until blended. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place bowl in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with coconut and nuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Macadamia Coconut Cream Tart in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p73