Macadamia Coconut Cream Tart
Get the flavors of Hawaii with this fabulous dessert. Coconut and rum combined with the silky texture, make with just superb.—Tonya Burkhard, Davis, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 8 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 2/3 cup macadamia nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. Stir in egg yolks just until combined.
- Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over rum; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, heat coconut milk, sugar and milk until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat; whisk in gelatin mixture until blended. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place bowl in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Fold in whipped cream. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with coconut and nuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Editor's Note: Reduced-fat coconut milk is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 495 calories, 38g fat (20g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Cream Tart with Macadamia Nut Crust in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.