Macadamia Carrot Muffins
These muffins make a great snack for kids (I have seven grandchildren and three great-grandkids) because they have so many healthy ingredients. I also turn to this recipe when I have to furnish muffins for church gatherings. -Shirley James, Buffalo Center, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 15 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups All-Bran
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups bran flakes
- 1-1/3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 package (8 ounces) chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- In a bowl, combine All-Bran and boiling water; let stand for 10 minutes. In a bowl, beat the brown sugar, molasses and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add buttermilk and soaked All-Bran; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until combined. Stir in bran flakes, carrots, dates and nuts.
- Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 148 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Macadamia Carrot Muffins in Taste of Home February/March 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.