Mac ‘n’ Cheese for One
This casserole is easy to make and goes well with any meat without having days of leftovers.—Lucy Holland, Derby Line, Vermont
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup diced cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 2 saltines, crushed
- In a saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper. Whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and onion; stir until cheese is melted. Add macaroni. Transfer to a greased 1-cup baking dish. Sprinkle with saltines; dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 558 calories, 42g fat (26g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 1255mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Mac 'n' Cheese for One in Taste of Home August/September 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.