Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Ham
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen cut asparagus, thawed
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, parsley, mustard and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce. Stir in the ham, asparagus and mushrooms. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 576 calories, 31g fat (17g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1759mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Apr 13, 2011
I would make this recipe again but alter it. It was extremely cheesy, you could probably cut the amount of velveta to 1/2 to 3/4 of what it calls for. Liked the idea of the ham and asparagus in it though.
Apr 27, 2010
I would definitely make this recipe again, as my family loves mac and cheese with ham. The only part I'd change would be to replace the asparagus with broccoli, as some of my family is allergic to asparagus. Other than that, this recipe is awesome and so easy to make, it's a keeper for sure.
Apr 7, 2010
I see a lot of recipes using 7oz box of macaroni. How many cups is that? I have never seen a 7oz box of macoroni. Thanks.
Apr 5, 2010
EXCELLENT!!!!! And what a great way to use the left over ham.
Dec 9, 2009
Made it for our Church pot luck. Everyone loved it! I didn't have asparagus so used mixed vegetables. Already have been asked for the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.