- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup plain M&M's
- 3 ounces white candy coating
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats.
- Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a microwave, melt caramels with water; stir until smooth. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with the chips, nuts and M&M's. Gently press into the caramel mixture. Melt candy coating; drizzle over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes or until set. Cut into bars. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews forM&M Oat Bars
"These were great and easy to make. The kids love them and they are a simple treat to bring in for the class. You can have the M&M color match the season."
"They look beautiful and taste excellent.. This recipe is so versatile. I made the recipe as directed. Also made it GF as someone mentioned in a prior review. Then it was time to play. Put 1/2 c of shredded coconut in the bar, which made it even more delicious. Then the next time. instead of using M$M 's used mini Hershey kisses delici-oh-so! This is definitely a keeper."
"These definitely satisfied my sweet tooth! My husband doesn't like caramel so I did change these up a bit. I put one cup of M&M's in the oat bar mix and before I baked it I pressed another cup of M&M's to the top of them and that was it. I didn't put any nuts or chocolate chips on it or drizzled it with cany coating. Although I would have loved too. But they still turned out GREAT and had chocolate in every bite!"
"Delicious and makes enough for a 4H or Scout meeting. I used fall colored M&Ms and have served them during fall activities. Kids love them!"
"I have made this both gluten free and the regular way, both turn out fabulous. To do gluten free just use Gluten Free quick Oats(Bob's Red Mill) and any all purpuse gluten free flour. I kept the measurements the same. Great for my GF daughter and the rest of the family couldn't tell the difference."
"Made these for family as a trial run. Made them again with just red and green m & m's for a Christmas Open House. Can do that with any color for any holiday! Will definately make them many times."
"DELICIOUS! I used mini Reese's Pieces instead of m&m's and pecans instead of walnuts. I also added some shredded coconut - awesome!"
"This is a go to recipe for BBQs or large gatherings. It makes a lot and with the holiday m&ms they can look very festive. So easy to make but look like you spent a lot of time in the kitchen"
"Made these for a picnic. They are very good, although some mentioned that they are quite rich."