Luscious Lemon Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 drop yellow food coloring, optional
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon zest and food coloring if desired. Gradually stir in lemon juice. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency.
- To assemble, cut cake in half lengthwise. Trim outside edges. Place one half on a serving platter. Top with the lemon filling. Top with remaining cake; spread with frosting.
Nov 8, 2011
I really liked the lemon flavor of the filling. The recipe needs to be doubled to fill a 9" cake round. Wasn't a fan of the frosting, gritty and tasted like a powdered sugar quick fix.
Mar 31, 2009
I do not understand why a box mix is used when baking from scratch is so much better.
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks. Lemon is one of my favorite cakes.