Luscious Lemon Layer Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package (9 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 drop yellow food coloring, optional
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter, lemon peel and food coloring if desired. Gradually stir in lemon juice. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency.
- To assemble, cut cake in half lengthwise. Trim outside edges. Place one half on a serving platter. Top with the lemon filling. Top with remaining cake; spread with frosting.
Nov 8, 2011
I really liked the lemon flavor of the filling. The recipe needs to be doubled to fill a 9" cake round. Wasn't a fan of the frosting, gritty and tasted like a powdered sugar quick fix.
Mar 31, 2009
I do not understand why a box mix is used when baking from scratch is so much better.
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks. Lemon is one of my favorite cakes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.