Luscious Coffee Ice Cream Pie
This luscious ice cream pie features a meringue crust and is topped with a smooth caramel sauce. It's a great time-saver for hectic days because it can be made ahead and frozen.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + freezing
Makes8 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream. softened
- 1 pint coffee ice cream, softened
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold in pecans.
- Spread meringue onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or until light golden brown. Turn oven off; leave meringue shell in oven for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack. Spoon ice cream into meringue shell. Cover and freeze at least 4 hours or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, milk, butter and salt. Cook and stir over medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes or until sauce comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in raisins and vanilla. Serve warm sauce with pie.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 434 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (60g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Coffee Angel Pie in Country Woman Christmas 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.