Lumberjack Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 package (10 ounces) pearl onions, peeled
- 3 cups frozen cut green beans
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1. Toss pork with the salt, sugar, pepper and paprika. In a Dutch oven, brown in oil on all sides. Add sliced onion and garlic; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon and bay leaves; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Add the carrots and pearl onions; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add beans; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 350 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 935mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 34g protein.
Reviews for Lumberjack Stew
"Meh, nothing special. Cooked almost exactly except no sugar. Not real spicy, really nothing special, it'll do though until I cook again on Wednesday. I'll probably add some hot sauce to liven it up for lunch."
"Well this is a tasty concoction! Perfect for the winter.~ Theresa"