Lower Sodium Chicken Vegetable Soup
Not only is this recipe extremely low in fat, but it's as convenient as it is delicious. Chock-full of corn, lentils and tender chunks of chicken, the thick satisfying soup simmers to a heartwarming perfection in the slow cooker.—Connie Thomas, Jensen, Utah
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups reduced-fat reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 140 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Chicken Vegetable Soup in Light & Tasty October/November 2002
May 21, 2014
Very easy! A little too sweet for my taste. I think I'd try it with half the sugar next time.
Sep 21, 2012
Love this in a crock pot!
Sep 27, 2011
Tasty, simple and easy to make. I added a bit of grated cheddar cheese on top for the final product.