Low-Sodium Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup red wine or additional water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms, peppers, onion and garlic in oil until softened. In a large Dutch oven, combine the next nine ingredients. Add beef and sauteed vegetables. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours. Stir in parsley and sugar. Discard bay leaves before serving. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 143 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 57mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Low-Sodium Spaghetti Sauce
"I tried this recipe at home. I thought that it was good for a low sodium version of spaghetti sauce, but it was quite watery and would not stick to the spaghetti . If someone in my household were on a low sodium diet , I would definitely use this recipe again."
"Thank you so much for this recipe! I use it all the time, and its great every time. I have to eat low sodium food, or else my blood pressure gets high."
"whoa, is this great!! it is simmering on the stove as i write this. plan to put in jars and freeze in pints for the family to use when i am working, or as a fast and easy meal. this recipe is so open to adapting to your own fmaily preferences--i did not use as many bell peppers, but there are portabello and button mushrooms in the sauce, and i tossed in some leftover veg (carrots and diced tomatoes). try this recipe!!"
"very good taste, easy to make.will make it again."
"This works well beyonf what i expected. Easily rivals jarred pasta sauce with tons of the salt cut out. I didnt use every ingredient on there and it still came out great!"