Low-Sodium Red Cabbage with Apples
Looking for a tasty, lower-in-sodium alternative to sauerkraut to serve with pork entrees? Try this colorful side dish with the slightly sweet flavor of apples. Michelle Dougherty - Lewiston, Idaho
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Stir in vinegar.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 62 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Red Cabbage w/ Apples in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.