Low-Fat Stuffed Mushrooms
"I first tasted these fun mushroom appetizers at a support group meeting for diabetics," says Beth Ann Howard of Verona, Pennsylvania. "I couldn't believe how yummy they were. Since then, I've shared the recipe with friends and co-workers."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound large fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- Remove stems from mushrooms; set caps aside. Chop stems, reserving 1/3 cup (discard remaining stems or save for another use). In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, chives, mayonnaise, vinegar, hot pepper sauce if desired and reserved mushroom stems; mix well.
- Place mushroom caps on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; stuff with crumb mixture. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 66 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Stuffed Mushrooms in Light & Tasty August/September 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.