"I changed the original recipe for these fudgy treats by replacing some of the sugar with a sugar substitute," says Jeanie Castor of Decatur, Illinois. "The kids in the neighborhood love them so much I can't keep enough on hand."
Recommended: 45 Skinny Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 disposable plastic cups (3 ounces)
- 12 Popsicle sticks
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the condensed milk, sugar and cocoa; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in skim milk, whisking until cocoa and sugar are dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in the sweetener and vanilla.
- Pour into cups. Cover each cup with heavy-duty foil; insert sticks through foil (foil will hold sticks upright). Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Freeze until firm, about 5 hours. Remove the foil and cups before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Low-Fat Fudge Pops in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p15