Low-Fat Beef Stew
Now even folks on restricted diets can indulge in a hearty helping of stew!—Marian Stalknecht, Lawrenceville, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound beef top round steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3-inch chunks
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add the next seven ingredients; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add carrots and potatoes; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in peas; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 159 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Low-fat Beef Stew in Country Woman March/April 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.