Low-Fat Apple Brown Betty
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 6 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup fat-free whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Place apple slices in a bowl. Combine sugar substitute and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat evenly. Place bread in a food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs form. In an small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter until blended.
- Place half of apple mixture in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with about 1/3 cup crumb mixture and remaining apple mixture. Pour orange juice over apples. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crumb topping is golden brown.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in half of the whipped topping. Fold in remaining whipped topping. Serve with Apple Brown Betty.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 134 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Aug 2, 2010
This sounds delicious. There must be a misprint though... Analysis says 1 serving = 1 rounded TBSP. To me, that's an awful small serving! (at 134 calories and 3g fat per TBSP, a 1/4 cup would be about 500 cal and 12g fat!) The recipe says 6 servings from an 8x8 pan! There must be more than 6 rounded TBSPNS in the finished product!
Sep 4, 2009
delicious we made it with fresh peaches also