Low-Fat Apple Brown Betty
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 6 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apples
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 slices reduced-calorie whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup fat-free whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Place apple slices in a bowl. Combine sugar substitute and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat evenly. Place bread in a food processor; cover and process until fine crumbs form. In an small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter until blended.
- Place half of apple mixture in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with about 1/3 cup crumb mixture and remaining apple mixture. Pour orange juice over apples. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake 25-30 minutes longer or until apples are tender and crumb topping is golden brown.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in half of the whipped topping. Fold in remaining whipped topping. Serve with Apple Brown Betty.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 134 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Aug 2, 2010
This sounds delicious. There must be a misprint though... Analysis says 1 serving = 1 rounded TBSP. To me, that's an awful small serving! (at 134 calories and 3g fat per TBSP, a 1/4 cup would be about 500 cal and 12g fat!) The recipe says 6 servings from an 8x8 pan! There must be more than 6 rounded TBSPNS in the finished product!
Sep 4, 2009
delicious we made it with fresh peaches also
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.