Lori’s Marzetti Bake
I have a family of 8 kids and so there were 10 of us, and for us a meal had to be delicious, appealing, and enough to feed us all, and we like leftovers for lunch the next day. When grandkids who come to visit during the holidays, we sometimes serve this casserole. I also take it to other family functions and potlucks and I always come home with an empty dish.—Lori Smith, Newark, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes2 casseroles (12 servings each)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) plus 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package (16 ounces) egg noodles
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, cook the first seven ingredients over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10-15 minutes or until flavors are blended, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile cook noodles according to package directions. Drain; add to sauce. Stir in 2 cups cheese. Transfer to two greased 11x7-in. baking dishes.
- Cover with greased foil and bake 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Originally published as Lori's Cheesy Marzetti Bake in Taste of Home Recipes Across America