Lora’s Red Beans & Rice
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 8 hours
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried kidney beans (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 1 pound)
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked andouille chicken sausage links or flavor of choice, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Hot cooked rice
- Place beans in a large bowl; add cool water to cover. Soak overnight.
- Drain beans, discarding water; rinse with cool water. Place beans in a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in ham, sausage, vegetables, pepper sauce, garlic and salt. Add water to cover by 1 in.
- Cook, covered, on low, until beans are tender, 8-9 hours. Serve with rice.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup bean mixture: 249 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein.
Jan 15, 2019
Soo good! I added some creole seasoning (for spice) to the beans as they cooked and a splash of red wine vinegar at the very end over my bowl when I served it (SO good). Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly. We loved it.
Jun 17, 2018
I changed several things in making this, mainly that I made it in my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, cooking the soaked beans for 30 minutes before sauteing and adding the other ingredients and cooking the whole thing another 30 minutes in the pressure cooker. Made this way, or by the original method, really tasty!