My dear mother-in-law passed this simple recipe to me. With meats, beans and savory veggies that simmer all day, it's tasty, easy and economical, too! —Carol Simms, Madison, Mississippi
Recommended: 27 Recipes You Can Make In Your Instant Pot
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried kidney beans (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 1 pound)
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked andouille chicken sausage links or flavor of choice, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Hot cooked rice
- Place beans in a large bowl; add cool water to cover. Soak overnight.
- Drain beans, discarding water; rinse with cool water. Place beans in a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in ham, sausage, vegetables, pepper sauce, garlic and salt. Add water to cover by 1 in.
- Cook, covered, on low until beans are tender, 8-9 hours. Serve with rice. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Lora's Red Beans & Rice in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017