Loaded Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, brown beef in batches. Refrigerate the bacon until serving.
- 2. In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, green peppers, thyme and garlic. Top with beef. Pour broth over the top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- 3. Stir in cabbage and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Sprinkle each serving with bacon. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
1-1/3 cups: 336 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 516mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
Reviews for Loaded Vegetable Beef Stew
"Made this recipe exactly as written, just made 1/2 batch! It is excellent, meat was so tender and everyone commented on the great smells while cooking. Agree with some of the other reviews as needing a little seasoning. Great comfort food! Thank you for another yummy recipe!"
"Amazingly delicious!! I love cooking with squashes, but my family is not a big fan of it. This is a great stew that pleased everyone."
"Really good. A great comfort food. I did use canned tomatoes instead of fresh. I also halved the recipe and it still made a ton!"
"Great recipe. I had to add onion and garlic with the beef for my obsessive family. I also halved the bacon to reduce the fat a little. Thanks for sharing."
"This was so good! I agree that it does need a little more seasoning, but, that is pretty typical of any stew and was easy enough to adjust. I think next time I will add an onion. Also, I halved the recipe and it totally filled my 3 1/2 qt crock pot. Delicious!"
"The texture of this stew was perfect - the meat melt in your mouth and the veggies were so tender. It needed more seasoning, though."
"Only change I made was to substitute a can of petite diced tomatoes (undrained) for the tomatoes. This dish should rate 10 stars! I was told to throw out my other beef stew recipes and only keep this one! It is really awesome!"
"I made a half-batch of this last weekend and both my husband and I loved it. It's a very light stew (more like a soup) and full of flavor. I wasn't sure about the butternut squash, so I added just a little, but it totally disappeared. It must have added to the flavor, though."
"I don;t know what going on but would not let me me in said was not a subscriber but I amShelia"
"I made this yesterday. I never would think of tomatoes in beef stew, but it was all delicious. My husband wanted thirds!!"