- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a mixing bowl, beat oil, molasses, 1/4 cup sugar and egg. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves; add to molasses mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Shape into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set and surface cracks. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews forLo-Cal Molasses Cookies
"These cookies are terrible. There is too much baking soda in them! Do not make these cookies!"
"These cookies were a nice little treat, not too sweet. However, I don't know how the writer got 60 cookies out of this recipe, unless she made them pea size. Even doubling the recipe, I got about 4 1/2 dozen. I will definitely make these again although I may try replacing the sugar mixed into the recipe with Splenda and just use regular sugar to roll the cookies in."