Little Meat Loaves
"I've wanted to reduce the fat in my meat loaf for many years, so I finally came up with this recipe," explains Paul Soper of Sierra Vista, Arizona. "By starting with lean ground beef and not adding any milk or egg yolks, I reduced the total fat considerably. Making individual loaves cuts the cooking time by almost half," he adds.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight loaves.
- Place on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Spoon ketchup over the loaves. Bake 15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts1/4 pound: 264 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Little Meat Loaves in Quick Cooking September/October 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips