Little Lemon Meringue Pies
"Since our sons went off to college, I'm back to cooking for just the two of us," writes Kathy Zielicke from Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. "The recipe for these lemony treats is supposed to serve two. In Gary's case, it serves only one!"
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 5-in. circle. Transfer to two 10-oz. custard cups. Press dough 1-1/8 in. up sides of cups. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in cold water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
- Stir half of hot filling into egg yolk; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter.
- Pour into pastry shells. In a small bowl, beat egg white and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 466 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 443mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Little Lemon Meringue Pies in Taste of Home April/May 2002