Little Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a bowl, combine chocolate and water; stir until blended. Cool. Add the sugar, shortening, egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the chocolate mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, combine the first six ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil for 1-1/2 minutes; remove from the heat. Set pan into a large pan of ice water. Beat for 1 minute. Add butter and vanilla. Beat 10 minutes longer or until frosting achieves spreading consistency. Frost cake. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece: 945 calories, 34g fat (14g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 701mg sodium, 159g carbohydrate (126g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Little Chocolate Cake
"This is a deliciously moist cake and just the right size for a few people. It serves six generously. I added some expresso powder and used a glaze rather than a heavy frosting and found that to be a perfect compliment to the sweet cake. I think 4 servings to be too large and even 8 servings is still generous especially when you look at the calories for 4 servings. Make it, you won't be disappointed!!"
"I said I wouldn't make this recipe again, but let me clarify. The cake was great and it was the first time I've ever made cake from scratch. The frosting, well, I've never made that from scratch either...so I wasn't aware of what was involved. But even that wouldn't have detered me. It's that it was way TOO sweet. In fact, it was such a sugar rush that I could actually feel it hitting my bloodstream and I'm someone with a sweet tooth. If I was more familiar with frosting I might play around with the recipe. The servings might need to be rethought....4 servings from a 8 x 8 pan? Those are some BIG servings. To each their own, I guess."
"Something is wrong here. One piece cannot equal 945 calories and 159g of carbohydrate."
"The only thing I would change is double the recipe. It came out way smaller than the picture looks. The icing is different but good and you can still mix powdered sugar with it and it still tastes good,just sweeter and it lightens the chocolate color."