Little Butter Cookie Sandwiches
This recipe originally came from my sister-in-law, and I tweaked it a bit and made doubly delicious cookies. You can make all different kinds of shapes.—Patricia Kutchins, Lake Zurich, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Food coloring, optional
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Colored sugar, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, extract and, if desired, food coloring. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture (dough will be sticky).
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Decorate as desired with colored sugar. Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, preserves, extract and enough orange juice to reach spreading consistency. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Freeze option: Transfer dough to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or until soft enough to press. Prepare and bake cookies as directed.
Originally published as Little Butter Cookie Sandwiches in Ultimate Cookie Swap 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.