Little Butter Cookie Sandwiches
This recipe originally came from my sister-in-law, and I tweaked it a bit and made doubly delicious cookies. You can make all different kinds of shapes.—Patricia Kutchins, Lake Zurich, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Food coloring, optional
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Colored sugar, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, extract and, if desired, food coloring. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture (dough will be sticky).
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Decorate as desired with colored sugar. Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, preserves, extract and enough orange juice to reach spreading consistency. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Freeze option: Transfer dough to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or until soft enough to press. Prepare and bake cookies as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 85 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Little Butter Cookie Sandwiches in Ultimate Cookie Swap 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.