Lithuanian Potato Dish
I received this recipe from my Lithuanian mother-in-law 43 years ago. This dish is as important to my family during the holidays as the Christmas tree.—June Gerdzunas, Mokena, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter,cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and shredded
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion; drain. Add butter and stir until melted. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt, pepper, eggs, evaporated milk and milk until smooth. Stir in the potatoes and bacon mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until golden. Serve with sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 247 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 365mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Lithuanian Potato Dish in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.