Lithuanian Potato Dish
I received this recipe from my Lithuanian mother-in-law 43 years ago. This dish is as important to my family during the holidays as the Christmas tree.—June Gerdzunas, Mokena, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter,cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and shredded
- Sour cream, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion; drain. Add butter and stir until melted. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt, pepper, eggs, evaporated milk and milk until smooth. Stir in the potatoes and bacon mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until golden. Serve with sour cream if desired.