Lime Shrimp with Asparagus
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- Hot cooked rice
- Place the asparagus, garlic and water in a 1-1/2-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; keep warm
- Add shrimp, red pepper and jalapeno to dish. Cover and cook on high for 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch, soy sauce, lime juice and lime zest until blended; stir into the cooking juices. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute or until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in shrimp and asparagus mixtures. Cook, uncovered, on high for 30-60 seconds or until heated through. Serve with rice.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Mar 9, 2014
This is a super easy dish to make. You could even prep the vegetables ahead of time for an extra fast meal. The lime sauce is delicious and would be good on chicken, too. This dish is tasty enough to serve to company.
Apr 22, 2013
I made this recipe on the stove versus in the microwave. It worked out really well. Just steam the asparagus and cook the shrimp, peppers and jalapeno on the stove until cooked through. It took about twice as long, but 30 minutes still isn't bad! I also used all purpose flour instead of cornstarch. The sauce thickened very nicely.Even though it calls for jalapeno, the dish is not very hot at all. Next time I will try a hotter pepper to get some spice.
Nov 14, 2012
i love this recipe. it put things that i did not think to put together. very good and only a microwave to cook. very nice