- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until blended. Beat in lime peel and extracts. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in cherries.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into a 7-in.-long roll. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 3-4 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews forLime Shortbread with Dried Cherries
"Had no trouble with slicing so I thought I was home free. Nope. Nearly every cookie broke or partially crumbled. Not a pretty sight. They were quite dry. Was planning to serve the cookies as dessert to friends who had brought us dried Michigan cherries. Reread ingredients to see if I missed anything, but hadn't. Unlikely to try again."
"Not my families favorite. Crossed it off my cookie list."
"I printed this recipe off several months ago, but just got around to trying it yesterday. They are delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and they are perfect. The only thing I did differently as I got about 32 cookies from each log. I must have sliced them a bit thinner than directed.My suggestions for those other reviewers having problems would be:Use real butter as it firms up harder than margarine (not to mention it tastes better). Use a very sharp, thin knife for slicing. For GailMc, who said she only got two dozen cookies from her batch, you cut them too thick. The recipe states to shape them into 7" logs and cut them into 1/4" slices. You get 28 slices from 7". 28 x 2 = 56"
"Great cookies! I increased the lime zest a bit for more flavor, but over all these were wonderful. I will definitely be trying some of the variations."
"easy to make, nice to have on hand in refrigerator/freezer. watch carefully, cherries burn easily. lime goes well with cherries. short."
"These were unbelievably delicious. Kept them refrigerated for 2 days and had no problem slicing. I made the orange /cranberry version and is a huge hit with the family. Doubled the recipe and it made 6.25 dozen."
"In response to the review posted by mazoboy , while there would only be 54 servings & the yield stated does read ABOUT 4 1/2 dozen, the review is not about someone's math skills. Please try to confine yourself to reviewing the recipe only. Great shortbread Abigail !"
"Nice cookie, but 4-l/2 dozen doesn't yield 56 servings."
"Suggest using a very sharp knife to cut -- dull knives squish/squash dough."