In my many family trips to Florida, I've had key lime pie from many restaurants, and each one is different. I wanted to create my own spin on the pie to make it my signature dessert. Whipped egg whites in the filling make it light and mousse-like, sweet raspberries balance the tart filling, and coconut and cashews add additional tropical character. Garnish with fresh raspberries and toasted shredded coconut if desired. —Elise Easterling, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Recommended: Top 10 Coconut Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large egg whites
- 18 whole graham crackers, crushed (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup Key lime juice
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries and toasted flaked coconut, optional
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix crushed crackers, brown sugar and cashews; stir in melted butter. Press onto bottom and 2 in. up sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan.
- In a large bowl, mix condensed milk, lime juice and egg yolks until blended. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into milk mixture; pour into crust.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until filling is set. Cool 4 hours on a wire rack. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight, covering when cold.
- Spoon cream layer from top of coconut milk into a large bowl (discard remaining liquid). Add whipping cream and confectioners' sugar to bowl; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread jam over pie. If desired, top with raspberries and coconut. Serve with coconut cream. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Lime-Raspberry Pie with Coconut Cream in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p194