Lime Poppy Seed Shortcakes
Tropical flavors are right at home in this fresh-flavored shortcake. It makes an elegant statement at brunch or as the finale to a summer meal. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup chopped peeled mango
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, mango and brown sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lime zest and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients until a thick batter forms.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with about 1/3 cup fruit mixture and 2 tablespoons topping. Replace shortcake tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 511 calories, 30g fat (19g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 415mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Lime-Poppy Seed Shortcakes in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008