Tropical flavors are right at home in this fresh-flavored shortcake. It makes an elegant statement at brunch or as the finale to a summer meal. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 12 Shortcake Recipes for Berry Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup chopped peeled mango
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, mango and brown sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, lime peel and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients until a thick batter forms.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top each with about 1/3 cup fruit mixture and 2 tablespoons topping. Replace shortcake tops. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Lime Poppy Seed Shortcakes in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008, p10