Lime Pecan Bread
Lime juice is a terrific addition to ordinary quick bread. The chopped pecans add pleasant crunch while the glaze gives a bit of sweetness.—Nancy Lore, Rockland, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar; beat in egg yolks. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Add lime juice and zest. Stir in pecans.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; pour over hot loaves. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 273 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Key Lime Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010