Lime gives a tart refreshing flavor to sweetened whipped cream. You can also use the lime mousse to fill individual purchased tart cups.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Recommended: Key Lime Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 drop green food coloring, optional
- Fresh lime slices, optional
- Place two sheets of phyllo dough on top of each other. Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying. Cut layered sheets in half widthwise. Brush top sheet of each with butter. Lightly press one stack into a 6-oz. custard cup coated with cooking spray. Lightly press second stack on top. Repeat with five more cups.
- Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing pastry to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For mousse, beat cream in a chilled small bowl until thickened. Add the sugar, lime juice, lime zest and food coloring if desired; beat until soft peaks form. Just before serving, fill phyllo cups with mousse. Garnish with lime slices if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lime Mousse in Phyllo Cups in Complete Guide to Baking 2004, p205